Friday, February 21, 2014

New Brooklyn Net Marcus Thornton excited for a new start

Marcus Thornton of the Brooklyn Nets is excited for a new start

This current season has not been kind for ex-Kings' Marcus Thornton. He's averaging career-lows across the board. In points (8.3), assists (1.0), steals (0.7) and field goal percentage (38.1%).

But despite his recent shortcomings, Thornton is excited for a fresh start with the Brooklyn Nets, as reported by Tim Bontemps of the New York Post.
“Yeah, I am,” Thornton said after being asked if he was looking forward to playing with the Nets. “I am. Change is always good and I am definitely looking forward to getting out there with the guys. 
“I was kind of mad I couldn’t practice [Friday], but I’m definitely looking forward to getting out there with the guys, getting a feel for them and them getting a feel for me.”
Thornton said he could not figure out the reason to his struggles this season after playing solid ball the rest of his career. His per 36 numbers all show him averaging around 20 points per game, and it's not like he was playing minimal minutes either.

The new Brooklyn Net did point out that the constant change happening within the Kings organization could have been one reason he was having an uncharacteristically poor year.
“I can’t just pinpoint it,” he said. “There was a whole bunch of changes, coaching changes. Everybody was new, and we made a couple trades, too. … I wouldn’t say I was on the outside looking in. 
“I guess I would just say I wasn’t comfortable in the scheme of things. But that’s done with and I’m a Brooklyn Net now, so I’m ready.”
Having missed Friday's practice because both team's had not finished with physicals, Thornton still is confident that he'll be able to contribute if he's able to play this weekend, against either the Golden State Warriors or the Los Angeles Lakers.

What Thornton is most excited about, however, is the possibility of playing in the playoffs. In his five seasons and counting in the NBA, not once has the shooting guard played a playoff game. With veterans players like Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and even Deron Williams on this team, they'll play a vital role in helping Thornton adjust and bring the best out of him in both the regular season and the playoffs.



Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous to others when discussing your opinions. Swearing will not be tolerated.

 
Site Meter