Monday, December 17, 2012

Deron Williams' Struggles are Mental; Not the Same Since Being Traded

Deron Williams has truly struggled in the beginning of the season, but he admits that his struggles aren't because of lingering injuries. His explanation goes as follows:
"I think it's mostly mental with me. It's become mental," Williams said. "I've tried getting up extra shots, I've tried not shooting so I don't think about it. I tried shooting before games, not shooting before games, so hopefully I snap out of it."

His stats aren't where they were expected to be after signing his 5-year, $98 million contract with Brooklyn this August. In 23 games he is averaging 17 points, 8.3 assists and shooting 38.8% from the field. These are all his worst statistical averages since his second season in the league. His offensive struggles were there last season, too. The difference is that there wasn't any talent around him so he needed to carry the workload for the team.

Deron also admits, which has been blatantly obvious, that he hasn't been the same since being traded from the Utah Jazz to the Nets back in 2011.
"I was injured the first year (and needed season-ending right wrist surgery)," Williams said Monday, a day before the Nets host the Jazz at Barclays Center. "I've really had injuries while I've been with (the Nets) the whole time. And didn't have the talent around me that I did (with the Jazz). And that system was a great system for my style of play. I'm a system player, and I loved Coach Sloan's system. I loved the offense there. We could've been a really good team. We just weren't that good defensively as a group."
Williams has been dealing with a lot of injuries in his time with the Nets. He hurt his wrist and that was the key to his shooting woes. He would miss the remainder of the season after needing surgery. Last season he dealt with a wide variety of issues including a calf injury that would make him miss the final five games of the season. Now this year he is playing through bone spurs in his ankle, a wrist injury and just recently suffered a right quad contusion. He has missed a total of 24 games for the Nets since being acquired from Utah at the trade deadline in February 2011.

Deron Williams: I'm not the same - ESPN
Deron Williams says issues have 'become mental' - NY Daily News

Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous to others when discussing your opinions. Swearing will not be tolerated.

 
Site Meter