Monday, November 5, 2012

Player Preview : Jerry Stackhouse

Time to time I play pick-up basketball at various parks and gyms . Most of the time, there is someone who may be like 10 years older than you, maybe more, but at the same time still young enough to run around on the one side of court. Ladies and gentlemen, that is the Nets very own Jerry Stackhouse. Don't get me wrong, Jerry Stackhouse is no scrub. He just seems like a guy who is out of touch with the current state of NBA basketball. Last season he averaged 3.6 points per game with Atlanta. The season prior, he averaged 1.7 points per game. He did only play 7 games that season but the question still appears. What can Jerry Stackhouse do for the Brooklyn Nets?

Honestly, I thought the two time All-Star would have retired after his last two seasons. Some people weren't even aware that Stackhouse was still playing. But when you sign with the team that has all the shine in the tri-state area, people notice the little things. Now we know he's in the league but still have no clue on how he can contribute on the court. I'm sure he has a jump-shot for the corners. A charge for the out of control ball handlers. A surprising dunk for the non-believers  which can maybe spark up the team if needed. But in reality, playing time for Stackhouse looks like it will only come when the Nets are destroying a team, or maybe filling in the for an injured player which nobody do not want to see. But Jerry has to play sometime right? He maybe 38 years old but in this case, experience is his biggest asset.

On the flip side of thing, Jerry is actually a rare commodity  He's a player that can still provide something favorable  on the court, and he can also help guys out with constructive criticism and direction. In other words Jerry is a player's-coach, and a coach in the making.  Avery Johnson is actually helping which can only benefit the team. Jerry loves the ideas well.
"I never thought I’d want to coach, but now I kind of want to transition into that, kind of learning from (Johnson),” Stackhouse said. “I know he’ll allow me to assume some of the responsibilities this year. I think a lot of coaches would be threatened by that, but he’s comfortable enough to let me earn my way while I’m playing.

“It’s kind of an ideal situation for me. Hopefully I can grow with this group past my actual playing days"
This has actually been planned .
“I had been talking to Avery and talking to Billy over the last couple years behind the scenes. They knew they weren’t ready to compete,” Stackhouse said. “But they felt like when they were ready to compete, I’d be a guy that comes in and be a stabilizing force.

“This team is ready. This team is ready to make a huge step. Obviously this environment is new, but this group isn’t new. This group knows NBA basketball very well. The coaching staff is a seasoned group. The players are a seasoned group. So why not come here with a splash and a bang?”
Jerry Stackhouse believes he can deliver so why not believe in him? Maybe he has something left in the tank to prove all doubters wrong and show he has something left.Most of all, I expect Jerry to come out, play hard and wear that Brooklyn Jersey with attitude.

Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous to others when discussing your opinions. Swearing will not be tolerated.

 
Site Meter